DEC Proposed Regulations & SIP - Fairbanks North Star Borough Fine Particulate Matter (PM2.5)
DEC has proposed regulations and amendments to the State Implementation Plan (SIP) to address Fine Particulate Matter (PM2.5) within the Fairbanks North Star Borough (FNSB) Nonattainment Area. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reclassified the FNSB PM2.5 nonattainment area from moderate to serious effective June 9, 2017; Federal Register, Vol. 82, No. 89, 21711. The proposed regulations incorporate elements of local FNSB ordinances into the SIP to comply with federal Clean Air Act requirements.
A public hearing will be held in Fairbanks. Public hearings in Anchorage or Juneau, will be scheduled upon request. DEC will consider all comments received during the comment period which ends August 30th, 2017, when choosing whether to adopt the final regulations and SIP amendments. The proposed regulations and SIP amendments are posted below. Adopted regulations and SIP amendments will undergo legal review at the Department of Law before finalization.
Proposed Regulation and SIP Amendment Documents
- Public Notice (July 18th, 2017)
- Proposed Regulation Amendments
- SIP Section III.D.5.7 - Control Strategies
- SIP Section III.D.5.11 - Emergency Episode Plan
- SIP Appendix III.D.5.12 - Assurance of Adequacy
- Referenced Documents
- Questions and Answers
- Visible Emission Limits
- Requirements for Coal-Fired Heating Devices
- Update Language for Easier Readability
- New and Amended Definitions