Food Worker Cards

Alaska regulations require foodworkers to obtain a Food Worker Card within 30 days of employment.

If you do not find information you are looking for, please contact your local Environmental Health Officer.

Food Worker Card FAQs

Who needs a Food Worker Card?

Anyone who works with unpackaged foods, potentially hazardous food or food-contact surfaces.

  • Chefs, cooks, servers, bartenders, meat cutters, food counter workers, dishwashers, etc.
  • Food Workers who work anywhere in the state, excluding the Municipality of Anchorage.

Note: Food Workers in the Municipality of Anchorage (MOA) need a card issued by the MOA.

Who does not need a Food Worker Card?

  • People who do not touch foods or items that contact foods,
  • People who only work with pre-packaged foods (cashiers, grocery baggers, delivery drivers, warehouse workers, and shelf stockers).
  • Individuals who assist patients or residents in an institution with their meals.
  • Children under the age of 18 who assist with school meal services in a school kitchen.
  • Volunteers
  • Certified Food Protection Managers.

How do I get a Food Worker Card?

  • Getting a Food Worker Card instructions.
  • You must sign in to your MyAlaska page (or create an account), and follow the indicators to purchase a TestID online. Once you have your test ID, you can then take the food worker card test at any time, or you can wait up to a year to use your Test_ID.)

How much does it cost?

  • A Food Worker Card costs $10 and is valid for three years.

I'm not good with a computer. What can I do?

  • Written tests are available on request.

What if I lose my card?

  • Use your stored ID number to print a new card.

Questions? Contact us by email or phone 907-269-7501

Toll Free: 1-87-SafeFood (1-877-233-3663) or 1-907-334-2560.