Food Worker Card Instructions

Online Help

Steps To Get a Food Worker Card

  1. Go to "Obtain a Food Worker Card" section.
  2. Purchase a TestID. The cost is $10.00.
  3. Print your TestID for your records. It is your proof of purchase.
  4. Take the Food Worker Card test.
  5. After you pass your test, print your Food Worker Card.

< top >

Purchase a TestID(s)

There are two ways to purchase TestID(s)

  1. Purchase a single TestID as an individual.
  2. Mail in your payment.

  • 1: Go to the "Obtain a Food Worker Card" section.
  • 2: Under "Purchase Test ID(s)" select "For an Individual".
  • 3: Fill in the Applicant Registration form and press "Submit".
  • 4: On the Online Payment Center page select how you would like to pay for the TestID and press "Submit".
  • Credit Card: select the [Pay with Credit Card] button.
  • Bank Transactions: select the [Pay with Checking/Saving Account] button. Note that online bank transactions may take up to 5 days to process.

Mail in your payment: Note, it can take 2-3 weeks to receive your food worker card by selecting this payment method. For faster results please pay for your TestID on online.

To pay by money order, check, or credit card (No cash, please!), fill out this form and mail it, with your payment, to:

State of Alaska DEC FWC
Financial Services/User Fees
410 Willoughby Ave., Ste 303
PO Box 111800
Juneau, AK 99811-1800

< top >

Take the Practice Food Worker Test

To take the Practice Alaska Food Worker Card Test go to the Alaska Food Worker Card online testing site and select Link to Practice Test.

< top >

Take the Food Worker Test

  • 1: Proceed to the test site by clicking on the following Link to Food Worker Test.
  • 2: Select the "Take the Test" icon.
  • 3: Register for the test.
  • 4: Answer the 20 test questions.
  • 5: At the end of the test, you will be given your score. If your score is 75% or higher, you may print out your Alaska Food Worker Card.

< top >

Print Your Documents

You can print out the following documents:

Test ID

If you paid by Credit Card:

  1. Print out your invoice number and TestID at the time of purchase.
  2. If you did not print out your TestID at the time of purchase, log back onto the system and enter your invoice number to access and print your TestID.

If you paid by Bank Transaction:

  1. You will receive an invoice number at time of purchase.
  2. After the transaction clears your bank enter your invoice number to access and print out your TestID.

Food Worker Card

  • 1: Go to the "Obtain a Food Worker Card" section and select "Print Your Food Worker Card".
  • 2: Enter either your invoice or testId number. You should have received both of these items at the time you purchased your TestID.
  • 3: Press "Submit" to display your Food Worker Card.
  • 4: Print your card. If no printer is available, you can return to the website when a printer is available using either your invoice number or TestID to get your card.

< top >

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a Food Worker Card?
  • Anyone who works with unpackaged foods, potentially hazardous food or food-contact surfaces.
  • Chefs, cooks, servers, bartenders, meat cutters, food counter workers, dishwashers, etc.
  • Food Workers who work anywhere in the state, excluding the Municipality of Anchorage.
Note: Food Workers in the Municipality of Anchorage (MOA) need a card issued by the MOA.

Who does not need a Food Worker Card?
  • People who do not touch foods or items that contact foods.
  • People who only work with pre-packaged foods (cashiers, grocery baggers, delivery drivers, warehouse workers, and shelf stockers).
  • Individuals who assist patients or residents in an institution with their meals.
  • Children under the age of 18 who assist with school meal services in a school kitchen.
  • Volunteers.
  • Certified Food Protection Managers.

How do I get a Food Worker Card?
  • The test and training are offered online.
  • Written tests are available on request.

How much does it cost?
  • A Food Worker Card costs $10.00 and is valid for three years.

Questions? Contact us by email or phone 907-376-2849
Toll Free: 1-87-SafeFood (1-877-233-3663) or 1-907-334-2560
< top >