Lab Services/DW Certification
Drinking Water Certification - Microbiology
Certification Officer - SDWA Microbiology
PHONE: 907-375-8200 FAX: 907-929-7335 EMAIL: email@example.com
A list of laboratories certified by the state to perform microbiological analyses of drinking water samples can be accessed under Quick Links to the left or from the EHL homepage.
How to Apply for Microbiology Certification
Read entire page to access FY2016 application
- Certification year runs from 1 July to 30 June. Renewal application packets are due by 30 May
- There are two types of certification:
- Direct Certification, which requires an onsite inspection
- Reciprocity, which recognizes certifications granted by other states or agencies
- Laboratory third-party onsite audits are required at least every three years, whether they are performed by ADEC or another certifying agency (for reciprocity).
- Completed application packets do not automatically guarantee certification for drinking water analysis. This department will determine the certification status of a laboratory after final review of all submitted information. Following review, a State of Alaska Certificate along with the Scope of Accreditation will be issued identifying the status of approved methods/analytes.
- New applications can be submitted at anytime
- Renewal applications and fees are due and must be postmarked no later than May 30th of each fiscal year.
- If a completed application and total fees are not submitted by May 30th, the laboratory will not be recertified on July 1st. Processing of applications received after May 30th will be prioritized based on date of receipt and may take up to 30 days to process depending upon the number of late applications.
Application Packet Documents:
- Completed electronic (excel) application, which generates invoice
- Fees Paid in Full: credit card, check, or money order (See below for range, see application to calculate invoice)
- Successfully completed initial on-site audit or (For out-of-state/reciprocity labs only) most recent on-site inspection report
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for each method requested
- Completed Personnel Status form
- Laboratory Quality Assurance Plan (QAP)
- Laboratory must submit a current written Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) on an ANNUAL basis following the guidelines established in Chapter III, Section 11 of The Manual for the Certification of Laboratories Analyzing Drinking Water, 5th Edition, January 2005 EPA 815-R-05-004.
- If the lab is analyzing compliance samples for LT2, applicable components of the Microbial Laboratory Guidance Manual for the Final Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule, February 2006 EPA 815-R06-006 must be included.
- An approved PT provider must be used (Quick Link on the left.)
- The certified laboratory must successfully analyze water supply (WS) performance and/or water pollution (WP) testing samples annually for each certified parameter by each method.
- A recent/current PT (for renewal) is one where the study CLOSE DATE less than twelve months old) by the May 30th deadline.
- Official PT results should be sent directly from the vendor to the Laboratory Certification Program at email address at top of page. Copies sent from laboratory in application packet, are used to verify receipt from vendors.
- A $150 “Base Fee” will be assessed to each microbiology application.
- A "Method Fee" will be calculated for each test or method requested on your application (See list of fees below).
- A laboratory desiring to add one or more tests or methods within an Area of Certification (AOC) to its current certification must submit an amendment application form with appropriate fees; a site visit and PT evaluation must take place as described above.
- Fee payment does not assure certification.
- All fees are nonrefundable regardless of acceptance or rejection of a laboratory's application.
Fees Based on Area of Certification
- Micro I: Enzyme Substrate (ES) Methods for multiple analytes: ($126 per method)
- Micro II: Multiple Tube Fermentation (MTF) including confirmation test methods and Heterotrophic Plate Count (HPC Pour Plate) Methods: ($410 per method)
- Micro III: Membrane Filtration (MF), including confirmation test methods: ($441 per method)
Mail to:State of Alaska/DEC
5251 Dr. MLK Jr. Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99507
Attn: Certification Officer - SDWA Microbiology