Lab Services/DW Certification
Drinking Water Certification - Microbiology
Certification Officer - DW Microbiology
PHONE: 907-375-8200 FAX: 907-929-7335 EMAIL: email@example.com
A list of laboratories certified by the state to perform microbiological analyses of drinking water samples can be accessed under Quick Links.
How to Apply for Microbiology Certification
- Certification year runs from 1 July to 30 June. Renewal applications are due by 30 May
- There are two types of certification:
- Direct Certification, which requires an initial onsite inspection within 6 months for new labs
- Reciprocity, which recognizes certifications granted by other states or agencies
- A laboratory seeking either type of certification must submit the following:
- Completed current or renewal year application form
- A copy of the laboratory quality assurance manual (QAM)
- Completed Personnel Status form
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for each method being approved
- Most recent proficiency test (PT) for the methods requested (must be performed within the previous 12 months)
- Reciprocal state’s third-party onsite audit report
- Check, credit card or money order for applicable fees (base and certification fees are due at the time of application).
- Successful PT sample analysis must be demonstrated prior (dated within previous 12 mos.) to the granting of certification
- Laboratory third-party audits are required at least triennially, whether they are performed by ADEC or another certifying agency
- Certification will be granted and a certificate provided for one fiscal year (1 July thru 30 June) based upon completion of:
- Application process
- Verification of the quality assurance program
- Acceptable analytical performance on the appropriate PE samples (dated within previous 12 mos.)
- Successful completion of an initial onsite inspection or a current triennial inspection
- New applications can be submitted at anytime
- Renewal applications and total fees (Base and Method) are due to the DW Laboratory Certification Office, located at 5251 Dr. MLK Jr. Ave., Anchorage, AK 99507 postmarked no later than May 30th of each fiscal year.
- If a completed application and total fees are not submitted by May 30th, the laboratory will not be recertified on July 1st. Processing of applications received after May 30th will be prioritized based on date of receipt and may take up to 30 days to process depending upon the number of late applications.
- Forms for certification, application amendments, and instructions for completing the forms can be obtained from the Alaska Dept of Environmental Conservation Drinking Water Laboratory Certification Program website
- All fees are nonrefundable
- A $150 “Base Fee” will be assessed to each microbiology application. This fee will only be assessed one time for each fiscal year and will not be required for amendment applications. The “Base fee” is for the administrative process involved with application review and on-site inspections; it does not assure certification. It is due with the application submittal.
- A “Certification Fee” will be calculated for each method requested on your application (See list of fees below); specific method references and fees are listed on the application. All Certification Fees are due at the time of submitting the application.
- A laboratory desiring to add one or more tests or methods within an Area of Certification (AOC) to its current certification must submit an amendment application form with appropriate fees; a site visit and PE evaluation must take place as described above.
Fees Based on Area of Certification
- Micro I: Enzyme Substrate (ES) Methods for multiple analytes: ($126 per method)
- Micro II: Multiple Tube Fermentation (MTF) including confirmation test methods and Heterotrophic Plate Count (HPC Pour Plate) Methods: ($410 per method)
- Micro III: Membrane Filtration (MF), including confirmation test methods: ($441 per method)
Mail completed forms to:
5251 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99507
Attn: Certification Officer - DW Microbiology