Skip to content
Juneau State Office Mailing Address Update

All mail sent to the DEC office in Juneau through the U.S. Postal Service must be addressed to P.O. Box 111800, Juneau, AK, 99811. Beginning October 1, all mail addressed to our Willoughby Avenue address will not be delivered and will be returned to sender by the Post Office. This change only impacts incoming mail to the Juneau office.

Do I Need to be a Certified Applicator?

State regulation (18 AAC 90.300) requires that anyone who “engages in the custom, commercial, or contract use of a pesticide” or acts as a “pesticide consultant” must be a certified pesticide applicator.

If you apply pesticides to someone else's property, this is considered a "custom, commercial, or contract" application. This is true even if you are not paid for the work.

Any product that claims to kill, prevent, destry, or repel a pest is considered a pesticide.

You probably need to be a certified pesticide applicator if you:

  • Apply pesticides to someone else’s property (except for most sanitizers and anti-microbial products)
  • Provide information and consultation about commercial pesticide use
  • Apply, purchase, or distribute Restricted Use Pesticides
  • Apply pesticides in schools or public places

Examples include:

  • Pest control companies
  • Lawn care services that apply a weed-and-feed product to a client’s lawn or spray for insects
  • Tree care companies that apply insect or disease control products

To become certified, applicators must successfully pass professional level examinations, submit proof of liability insurance, and pay a $25 fee.

For more information or to find out if you need to be certified, contact the Pesticide Control Program at 907-376-1870.