Pet Import/Export

Bringing Pets To and From Alaska

A person may not import or transport any animal into Alaska which is affected with an infectious or communicable disease or which has been exposed to an infectious or communicable disease.

All animals are required to have a current Health Certificate to enter the state of Alaska.

Certain species of animals will require an import permit. Permits may be obtained by the veterinarian issuing the health certificate by calling (907) 375-8215.

Questions and Answers

What are the requirements for bringing dogs, cats, and ferrets into Alaska?

These animals require a current rabies vaccination if three (3) months of age or older and a small animal health certificate within 30 days of import. Persons with animals coming from a rabies quarantine area or that cannot be vaccinated for rabies are required to call the State Veterinarian office in Anchorage at (907) 375-8215 for issuance of a permit number.

Animals that cannot be vaccinated for rabies must have an Exemption From Rabies Vaccination Form pdf icon signed by the examining veterinarian, the owner, and approved by the State of Alaska.

What are the requirements for animals leaving the state and entering other states?

States: Individuals need to contact the state of destination to obtain import requirements. List of US State Veterinarians pdf icon

Canada: For dog and cat round-trip movement from Alaska to Canada, not longer than one month such as for vacation, site seeing trips, dog shows, etc, it is required to have a current rabies certificate only. It is important to have the actual rabies certificate, not just a rabies tag. A health certificate is not required.

See the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Importation of Pets website for more information on importing animals to Canada.