Port of Anchorage – Former Defense Fuel Support Point
- View detailed information from the database on this site.
- Database Name: Port of Anchorage – Former Defense Fuel Support Point
- Status: Cleanup Complete – Institutional Controls
- Location: Anchorage
- Latitude: 61.233269
- Longitude: -149.887916
DEC Contaminated Sites contact: Louis Howard, Project Manager, 907-269-7552 (Anchorage)
U.S. Air Force contact: Sharon Walsh, 907-343-6203
- Click on photos or maps for larger versions.
- Contacts updated: October 14, 2016
- Summary updated: July 2, 2012
The Port of Anchorage – Former Defense Fuel Support Point (also known as the Anchorage Petroleum Terminal) is at 1217 Anchorage Port Road, and it covers about 69 acres on what is now Port of Anchorage land. The site is bordered by Elmendorf Air Force Base (now called Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson) on the north and east, the Government Hill community to the south, and various petroleum tank farms operated by private companies to the west, southwest and northwest.
From 1942 until 1996, when the support point was decommissioned, the Defense Fuel Support Point received, stored and issued fuel via pipelines, ships, rail and truck to and from Elmendorf, Kulis Air National Guard and Fort Richardson, Fort Greely and Fort Wainwright.
Public Health and Environmental Concerns
Previous investigations have identified roughly 27 releases of various petroleum fuels and transformer fluid between 1960 and 1989. Fuel-related contaminants, semi-volatiles and metals have been identified in the soil, sediment, groundwater or surface water.
- Woodward Clyde Consultants conducted a site investigation and a soil gas survey.
- Shannon &Wilson prepared a summary site assessment of the Port of Anchorage area for the Port Users Group.
- Dames & Moore collected and analyzed groundwater samples, which were incorporated in a site-wide monitoring report for the Port Users Group.
- Shannon & Wilson conducted a facility-wide human health and ecological risk assessment.
- A Proposed Plan was developed and finalized identifying removal of petroleum contaminated soils as the preferred alternative. Long-term monitoring of the groundwater and surface water will continue until cleanup levels are met.
- All tanks and piping were removed from the site. Roughly 20,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil were removed, treated and brought back to the site.
- DEC and the Defense Energy Support Center-Alaska signed a Record of Decision in 2003 to memorialize the actions taken in 2001 to address the contaminated soils and identified institutional controls for soil and groundwater.
- DEC granted the Defense Energy Support Center-Alaska a determination of no further remedial action planned, however, long-term monitoring will continue and institutional controls will remain in place.
- The Army turned over ownership of the property to the Port of Anchorage.
The above diagram is what the site used to look like. (Diagram courtesy of Shannon & Wilson, June 2000.)
The site is fenced and locked; access is limited to visitors on official business or construction workers. People may be exposed to contaminants by accidentally swallowing contaminated soil or water, or through contact with exposed skin. Wildlife, such as birds and rodents, may be exposed to contaminants by swallowing the soil or water or through contact with skin.
Long-term groundwater and surface water monitoring have shown stable or decreasing trends.
- Quitclaim Deed, conveying the Whittier-Anchorage Pipeline Tank Farm from the Army to the Port of Anchorage, signed April 13, 2011 (PDF 1.4M)
- DEC’s Approval of No Further Remedial Action Planned, June 5, 2006 (PDF 112K)
- Record of Decision, February 18, 2003 (PDF 2.1M)