Welcome to the Kodiak - Places of Refuge Home Page
The Kodiak Potential Places of Refuge project has been completed and approved by the Kodiak Potential Places of Refuge Workgroup members as of October 1, 2006. This website was used to assist the workgroup in the development of Potential Places of Refuge (PPOR) in the Kodiak Subarea and has links to the completed document.
The Kodiak Subarea is depicted in the map shown below. Similar projects have taken place for the Prince William Sound, Aleutian Islands, and Cook Inlet Subareas. The workgroup record and products from that project are available at http://www.dec.state.ak.us/spar/perp/ppor/home.htm.
The objective of this project has been to identify docking, anchoring, mooring and grounding locations that may be selected as Potential Places of Refuge in order to enhance the overall response process.
MapsThe maps below depict some of the risk factors the workgroup used in selecting potential places of refuge. The site assessment matrix (108KB pdf) and the site assessment key (30.8 Kb pdf) summarize the resources at risk for each site.
Download a low resolution copy of this map in pdf format (193 kb pdf).
Download a low resolution copy of the risk maps in layers that was used in identifying the Kodiak PPOR sites in pdf format (3.6kb pdf).
Download The index map below depicts the 11 different PPOR Maps that have been developed that include a total of 97 PPOR sites identified by the workgroup
Index of PPOR Maps
A total of 11 maps were created to include the Potential Places of Refuge sites selected in the Kodiak Subarea. Each of these 11 files consists of a map that shows the locations of these sites, along with three tables for each map that give specific information for each individual site. This information includes site considerations, stakeholders, and physical and operational characteristics.
Download (176 KB pdf) a copy of the draft introduction section to the Places of Refuge portion of the Subarea Contingency Plan.
Download (1.2 MB pdf) a copy of the risk maps used in identifying the Kodiak Potential Places of Refuge sites.
The following is a list of the Kodiak Subarea Potential Places of Refuge maps identified on the index map with links to the corresponding file in pdf format:
- Kodiak PPOR Map 01 (2.3MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 02 (2.6MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 03 (2.9MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 04 (2.9MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 05 (3.1MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 06 (3MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 07 (2.5MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 08 (2.5MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 09 (2.7MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 10 (2.5MB pdf)
- Kodiak PPOR Map 11 (2.6MB pdf)
An associated project, the Kodiak Geographic Response Strategy (GRS) Project may be found at the following link: http://www.dec.state.ak.us/spar/perp/grs/home.htm
Primary Project Participants
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation,
- Alaska Department of Natural Resources,
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game,
- Alyeska Pipeline Service Company/Ship Escort and Response Vessel Service,
- City of Kodiak
- Cook Inlet Regional Citizens Advisory Council,
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),
- Kodiak Island Borough
- National Oceans and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA),
- Prince William Sound Regional Citizens' Advisory Council,
- Southwest Alaska Pilots Association,
- U.S. Coast Guard, District 17,
- U.S. Coast Guard, Kodiak Marine Safety Detachment, and
- U.S. Department of the Interior
Websites of Interest
Invasive species informative websites:
If you have local knowledge about the Cook Inlet Subarea or for more information or questions pertaining to this project, contact email@example.com
You will need a special program to open some of the files (pdf) that you may download from this site. If you do not already have one, you may download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to open them. If you have special accessibility needs, Adobe offers several free accessibility programs for reading pdf files as well.
This page last updated: June 30, 2008 by Nuka Research & Planning Group, LLC