Kuparuk Topping Unit Naphtha Release
- CPF1 Kuparuk Topping Unit. The topping unit is where crude oil is refined to obtain diesel fuel for daily operations of oil production such as the operation of generators and vehicles.
- The spill was discovered at approximately 3:15 am on February 28, 2004
- Spill Id
- Product/ Quantity
- ConocoPhillips estimates 1,600 gallons of naphtha. Naphtha is a by-product obtained during the refining process of crude oil to diesel fuel.
- Tubing failure in the overhead condenser of the topping unit. The cause of the failure is unknown at this time. The naphtha is circulated through the condenser to cool before it is circulated back into the production stream.
ADEC Situation Reports
- 02/29/2004 (Final) (PDF 131K)