Galena Flooding Event 2013
- Galena, Alaska approximately 270 air miles West of Fairbanks
- The spills are the result of flooding that began in Galena on May 27, 2013.
- Spill Id
- Product/ Quantity
- Multiple potential sources of contamination, including drums containing used motor oil, dislodged heating oil and fuel tanks, electrical transformers, batteries, and containers of paint or other hazardous substances. The quantity of contaminants released is unknown.
- An ice jam developed on the Yukon River during spring melting, flooding the city. Floodwaters dislodged and damaged fuel tanks and other containers of hazardous materials.
ADEC Situation Reports
Additional Cleanup Information
- Fact Sheet for Cleaning Diesel Fuel/Heating Oil Contamination From Households
- Fact Sheet for Flood Waste/Debris Separation and Disposal
- Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water
- Flood Preparation and Recovery for Drinking Water Systems