Division of Spill Prevention and Response

Breadcrumbs

Inventory Control


Inventory Control Now Expired for Most USTs

For some older underground storage tanks (USTs), December 22, 1998, marks the end of the use of inventory control and tank tightness testing to meet State and Federal leak detection requirements.  The same thing applies to owners who use manual tank gauging.


What do I have do and when?

 

If your tank system meets the requirements below, you must switch to a new type of monthly monitoring right away.

 

Questions Answers
Does tank have corrosion protection (and, if so, when)? Does piping have corrosion protection and does UST have spill and overfill protection?

You can use inventory control or manual tank gauging plus:

Tank tightness testing annually Tank tightness testing every five years
No No Through 12/22/98 No
No Yes Through 12/22/98 No
Yes (anytime) No Through 12/22/98 No
Yes (on or before 12/22/88) Yes --> Through 12/22/98
Yes (after 12/22/88) Yes --> Until 10 years after tank has corrosion protection

 

What are my Options?

 

After you can no longer use Inventory Control and Tank Tightness Testing, your choices for tanks and piping are as

follows:

 

Tanks*

Piping*

Select one of the following below:

Pressurized

Suction

Interstitial Monitoring (double wall tanks) Automatic shut-off device or flow-restrictor or high level alarm, and Line leak detection test every three years or Interstitial Monitoring or SIR. However:
Automatic Tank Gauge (ATG)

Annual line leak detection test or Interstitial Monitoring or SIR

No line leak detection required if piping at atmospheric pressure slopes back to tank and there is only one check valve directly below suction pump.
Statistical Inventory Reconciliation (called SIR)
* Soil vapor monitoring and ground water monitoring are options that are only allowed with prior approval from DEC.

 

What do these all these terms mean and how to they apply to me?

"Installed with Corrosion Protection" means a tank is made of coated and cathodically protected steel, fiberglass, or steel that is clad or jacketed with a noncorrodible material. "Interstitial Monitoring" is the space in between a double wall tank or pipe that must be measured every thirty days to make sure either inner or outer wall of the system has not been broken.
"Inventory Control" means sticking your tanks every operating day, recording all fuel deliveries and product dispensed, noting the fuel levels in a log, and reconciling your records every 30 days.  "Manual Tank Gauging" is when you stick your tank before and after a period of non-use and compare the difference between the two measurements.  This option is not available for tanks greater than 2,000 gallons.
"SIR" or "Statistical Inventory Reconciliation" is when you stick your tanks like Inventory Control, but you send your inventory records to a third party who analyzes the data and determines whether or not you have a leak. "Tank Tightness Testing" means you hire a person certified to perform a tightness test designed by a vendor that has a 95% probability of detecting a leak and a 5% chance of a false reading.