Multi-Sector General Permits
Highlights of Permit Reissuance (2015 MSGP)
On February 19, 2015 DEC issued the 2015 Multi-Sector General Permit for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activity (2015 MSGP, AKR060000).
The permit became effective on April 1, 2015.
What Are Your Permit Responsibilities As a Facility Operator?
Operators of industrial facilities requiring an NPDES Stormwater Permit are eligible to obtain coverage under the 2015-MSGP if their activities are included within one of 29 industrial sectors. See Appendix D of the 2015-MSGP for a listing of facilities and activities that are covered.
(Note that this is only a partial list of your responsibilities and that you must consult the Multi-Sector General Permit for details.)
- Determine whether the facility or site discharges to a municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) or to waters of the United States. If it does not, no permit is required
- Determine if the facility's industrial activities are listed among the eleven Categories of Industrial Activities, provided in the federal regulations at 40 CFR 122.26(b)(14) or if the facility's SIC code falls within one of the sector/subsectors identified in Appendix D of the 2015-MSGP. If its activities are not listed, no permit is required.
- Determine if the listed facility or site may qualify for the "no exposure" exclusion under the federal regulations at 40 CFR 122.26(g)
- Develop a SWPPP. Development and implementation of an industrial storm water pollution prevention plan is the key condition of the MSGP.
- Keep a copy of the permit and all associated records on site during the entire permit period.
- Submissions to ADEC:
- Submit an original signed Notice of Intent (NOI). The NOI can be filed by hardcopy .
- With a paper copy of the NOI submit a check payable to the "State of Alaska" for the amount of the General Permit Authorization Fee of $735 (See 18 AAC 72.956 Table D (11)). For those who submit an eNOI, there is a step during the eNOI process where payment is required. This is a fee that has to be paid annually. ADEC will bill the facility in subsequent years for the annual fee.
- Provide a copy of the SWPPP (digital format (PDF) preferred).
- For your convenience, and to expedite the review of your SWPPP, you may also fill out and submit the checklist provided in the "Of Interest" box to the right – click on "ADEC MSGP SWPPP"
For more information on the Multi-Sector General Permit please contact:
William Ashton, Storm Water and Wetlands Engineer
Division of Water – Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
555 Cordova Street
Anchorage, AK 99501
Office:> 907-269-6283 | Fax: 907-269-3487