Water Quality Standards
Regulations and Guidance:
IMPORTANT: When determining which water quality standard (WQS) applies to your situation, you should first review the following document for a summary of approved state and federal WQS:
Water Quality Criteria Documents:
Water Quality Criteria are generally contained in two documents: (1) Water Quality Standards and (2) Water Quality Criteria Manual for Toxics that are adopted by reference as listed below.
1. Water Quality Standards
Current version of 18 AAC 70 WQS:
Former versions of 18 AAC 70 WQS: (Some sections of these earlier regulations remain in effect for CWA purposes.)
2. Water Quality Criteria Manual for Toxics
What We Do:
- Evaluate and revise Alaska's Water Quality Standards based on science.
- Explain the Water Quality Standards and how they are used.
- Provide easy access to water quality standards related documents, including the regulations, proposed revisions, fact sheets, technical papers, guidance documents and issues that may be of interest
Note: For questions about Drinking Water, please contact the Division of Environmental Health, Drinking Water Programs.
- 2017 Tier 3 Outreach
and Workshops - NEW
- Recent Updates to Water Quality Standards
- Human Health Criteria and Water Quality Standards
- Antidegradation Policy and Regulations
- Triennial Review
- Frequently Asked Questions About Turbidity in Surface Waters
- Standard Analytical Methods Updates
- Mixing Zones
- Alaska Water Quality Standards Academy: Link to presentations
- Site Specific Criteria in current permits
- Inorganic Toxics Criteria Worksheet
- Residue Criteria Proposed Changes
- Natural Conditions Guidance and Tools
- EPA's Alaska Water Quality Standards Page
- Federal Clean Water Act