State of Alaska Food Service Excellence (SAFE)
The State of Alaska Food Service Excellence Program (SAFE) recognizes food establishments that maintain exceptional food safety standards and procedures.
Need help? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
SAFE Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the SAFE program?
- The State of Alaska Food Safety Excellence (SAFE) program signifies a food establishment is recognized by the State of Alaska as having a Superior Food Safety program and inspection record by using a comprehensive system to effectively manage risk factors associated with the processing, storage, preparation and serving of food.
- How do I apply for SAFE?
- Fill out the application form and return it along with the additional documents and required information listed on the application.
- What are the eligibility requirements?
- The eligibility requirements are listed in the Alaska Food Code: 18 AAC 31.295
- How much does it cost?
- There are no fees involved.
- How long does the SAFE award last?
The award is valid for the calendar year it is issued and expires December 31 of the calendar year awarded. Applications will be accepted for the following year beginning November 1.
The recognition award cannot be automatically renewed; each establishment must reapply each year.
The SAFE award may be rescinded for reasons listed in the 18 AAC 31.295 section of Alaska’s food code.
- What are the benefits of getting a SAFE rating?
- The SAFE program signifies an establishment is recognized by the State of Alaska as having a superior Food Safety program and inspection record. The SAFE program promotes this food safety commitment to the public in several ways: A special food permit that is displayed in public view has the SAFE logo on it; food establishments will receive two static-cling logos (one with a white background, and one with a transparent background) to display on interior door or window glass to inform the public that the food establishment has achieved the SAFE ranking for food safety; the name of food establishments that receive the SAFE rating will be posted on the State of Alaska’s website and be contained in a press release or public service announcement.
- What happens if I apply but do not qualify?
- Nothing. You will receive written notification explaining what prevented your acceptance. Once the issue is corrected, depending on what it is, you may be able to re-apply in the current year or qualify the following year.