Skip to content

Anchorage DEC Office Outage

Anchorage DEC offices are experiencing a phone and internet outage. Please call the mainline of the Juneau or Fairbanks office location for assistance. Report oil and hazmat spills in the Anchorage area during business hours or statewide after-hours: 907-891-0757. During business hours, spills in Northern or Southeast regions can still be reported to the respective local response team office.

Pesticide Public Notice

Notice of Proposed General Permit for Application of Herbicides

DEC has developed a general permit to allow application of specific pesticides to control invasive weeds. DEC requests comments from the public regarding the proposed general permit.

Project Name

General Permit to Apply Pesticides for the Control of Invasive Weeds – 19-GP-WEED

Written Comments

Comments must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. Alaska Standard Time on January 18, 2020. To ensure that your comments are considered in relation to this application, please include the project name at the beginning of your comment.

To be considered, comments must be submitted in writing to DEC at the following address or email:
Rebecca Colvin
Department of Environmental Conservation Pesticide Program
555 Cordova Street, Anchorage AK 99501
Fax: 907-269-7510

Project Summary

DEC has developed a general permit to allow application of specific pesticides by state agencies to control invasive weeds in Alaska, if projects require a permit under 18 AAC 90.500.

Applicants who wish to be covered under the general permit must meet all permit conditions, and must obtain a confirmation letter and project tracking number from DEC prior to pesticide application.

Only invasive weed control projects overseen or managed by state agencies, such as Soil and Water Conservation Districts, would be eligible for coverage under the proposed General Permit. Only specific invasive weeds would be treated under the proposed General Permit. This General Permit will allow only the use of specific herbicides, which are all available over the counter and have a significant history of use.

Project Need

Invasive species present a significant risk to the environment. Rapid response before populations can spread to new areas is an essential component of invasive species control.

The use of herbicides is a primary tool in controlling invasive weeds. In many cases hand pulling, digging, mowing, or other non-chemical controls will result in further spread of seeds or root fragments. Delaying treatment would allow the invasive weed infestation to expand, establish a seed bank, and possible migrate to additional areas.

DEC has previously authorized invasive weed projects under individual permits or emergency exemption from permit requirements.

For specific Information regarding this proposed general permit, contact:
Karin Hendrickson
Department of Environmental Conservation
Pesticide Control Program
1700 E. Bogard Rd. #B103, Wasilla AK 99654
Phone: 907-376-1856

The ADEC complies with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you are a person with a disability who may need a special accommodation in order to participate in this process, please contact Kate Orozco at (907) 465-6171 or TDD Relay Service 1-800-770-8973/TTY or dial 711 within 30 days of publication of this notice to ensure that any necessary accommodations can be provided.

external link indicator Indicates an external site.