Skip to content

Non-regulated Aboveground Storage Tanks

Do you own or operate a facility with less than 420,000 gallons of aboveground storage capacity? Below is a list of resources and opportunities.

Free or Subsidized Opportunities

  • Do you need an upgrade to your tank farm? The Denali Commission wants to know what tank farm-related projects need financial assistance. Applicants should be able to plan and organize the bulk of the project, and provide a description to the Commission using the form available by clicking the “download” button on their website.
  • Bulk Fuel Operator course: tuition, room and board, and partial travel assistance for 10-day AVTEC, Alaska's Institute of Technology, bulk fuel operator training; courtesy of Alaska Energy Authority and the Denali Commission.
    • Starting in 2018: a professional bulk fuel operator will visit the home facility of each participant that successfully completes this course, to provide site-specific guidance and advice.
    • For course dates, to apply, or speak with the course coordinator, visit the Alaska Energy Authority website, or contact the Training Program Manager, Alan Fetter, at 907-771-3063 or
  • Grant funding is still available for the first year of a Tank Farm Management Contract with Rural Alaska Fuel Services, courtesy of the Denali Commission. RAFS provides tank farm inspections, PIC, operator and HAZWOPER trainings, as well as tank cleaning and demolition services. For questions and details contact RAFS: 907-562-0285,
  • Rural Utility Business Advisor Program classes, such as Utility Clerk and Financial Management trainings, are provided by the Division of Community and Regional Affairs and occur in Anchorage. Training dates are listed on DCRA's training calendar. For questions, including eligibility for travel reimbursement contact Brenda Hewitt: 907-269-5939,
  • Grants of up to $575,000 are available for pre-disaster hazard mitigation (e.g. tank farm infrastructure repair, tank farms threatened by changing coastline, salt water damage, or other natural causes), through the Department of Homeland Security & Emergency Management. Eligible applicants include tribal, local and state governments. Several grants are available annually, each with separate deadlines. More information, including staff contact names and numbers, is available at
  • The Denali Commission offers financial assistance for fuel-related projects. Details can be found on the Energy Program website.
  • Repair and Replacement Fund assistance (free professional guidance on developing and managing rural energy infrastructure); courtesy of the Denali Commission and the Alaska Community Foundation.
  • Tribal Capacity and Training program: learn how to have a voice in rural Alaska’s environmental issues by attending one of the courses below. Participation is free, provided by Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium (ANTHC). Details can be found on the ANTHC website.
    • Tribal Environmental Plan Development Workshop
    • Introduction to the Indian Environmental General Assistance Program
    • Climate Change Adaption Training
  • Scholarship-assisted Environmental Job Training
    • Get the qualifications to work as a Landfill Operator, Environmental Technician, Emergency Spill Responder, Home Fuel Tank Inspector, Certified Sediment and Erosion Control Lead, Forklift Operator, Water and Soil Sampler, Contaminated Site Cleanup Technician, and more
    • Must be unemployed or only working part-time
    • Participants receive 10 - 11 University of Alaska, Fairbanks (UAF) credits and earn a UAF Occupational Endorsement as a Rural Alaska Solid Waste and Spill Response Technician
    • The 4-week training occurs annually, for two 2-week periods between February and April
    • Applications are typically available in early October and due by mid-November each year
    • For eligibility requirements, an application packet, or to find program staff contact information, visit the Rural Alaska Community Environmental Job Training Program (RACEJT) webpage at the Zender Environmental website

Tools and Information

Contact Information

external link indicator Indicates an external site.