Benefits of ULSD
Listed below are benefits of transitioning to an ultra-low diesel fuel compared to high sulfur content fuels:
- Ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel allows the use of advanced technologies to reduce harmful pollutants. The use of catalytic converters and particulate filters can be utilized to nearly eliminate nitrogen oxide (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions.
- The transition to ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel will now allow light duty diesel vehicles to meet the stringent emission standards as light duty gasoline vehicles.
- Diesel engines are 20-40% more efficient than gasoline vehicles using the lower sulfur diesel fuel.
- The boost in efficiency in diesel vehicles utilizing ULSD will increase the demand and in turn more diesel vehicles will be on the road.
- Infrastructure that is currently in place can easily be used with this new ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel.
- ULSD fuel enables the use of cleaner technology diesel engines and vehicles with advanced emission control devices, resulting in significantly improved air quality. Annual emission reductions will be equivalent to removing the pollution from more than 90 percent of today's trucks and buses, when the current heavy-duty vehicle fleet has been completely replaced in 2030.
Summary of Pollution Reductions:
- reduction in smoke can be up to 60%
- sulfur dioxide emissions are cut by 90%
- 80% reduction in a range of other toxics (i.e. aromatic hydrocarbons)
- 20% reduction in particulate matter
- less exhaust odor
- waste oil is decreased
- If you have questions regarding ultra-low sulfur diesel and DEC's role, please contact:
- Program Manager: Cindy Heil
- Phone: 907-269-7579