Kuparuk 2U Pad Crude Oil Spill
- Kuparuk River Field, flow line between 2U Pad and CPF-2. Latitude: N 70° 19' 19.99" Longitude: W149° 55' 41.52".
- ConocoPhillips Alaska, Inc. (CPAI) discovered the spill at 1:33 AM on December 16, 2007 and reported the spill to ADEC via the Alaska State Troopers at 2:43 AM.
- Spill Id
- Product/ Quantity
- CPAI reported that 4,284 gallons (102 barrels) of crude oil, gas, and fluids spilled from a 24-inch flow line located within the Kuparuk River field between the 2V and 2W pads.
- CPAI reported external corrosion to the flow line. After the insulation from the flow line was removed, responders observed a 6-inch long crack (about 1/8 inch wide at the center) in the flow line. Investigators believe the cause was from external corrosion due to water trapped between the pipe and the insulation.
ADEC Situation Reports
Aerial and Miscellaneous Photos
- 12/16/2007 - aerial infrared photo showing extent of spill (courtesy of Conoco-Phillips)
- 12/17/2007 - overflight photo with crude misted areas outlined (courtesy of Conoco-Phillips)
- Photo of crack in pipeline (PDF, 99K, courtesy of Conoco-Phillips)