Skip to content

ORL & PAEL Applications and Forms

Owner Requested Limits (ORL) requests under 18 AAC 50.225 and Preapproved Emission Limit (PAEL) requests under 18 AAC 50.230 are permit avoidance measures. ORLS and PAELS provide stationary sources with options to operate besides using a "traditional" permit. Requests made under 18 AAC 50.225-230 must be accompanied with a one-time permit administration fee as listed in 18 AAC 50.400 (or in the table below).

If your facility has over total generating capacity of more than 294 horsepower or 219 kilowatts it is likely that your facility will need at a minimum a PAEL. Please contact the Air Quality for more information or assistance at 907-465-5100.

Owner Requested Limit (ORL) Requests under 18 AAC 50.225

Pre-Approved Emission Limit (PAEL) Requests Under 18 AAC 50.230

Pre-Approved Emission Limits (PAELs) are permit avoidance tools for stationary sources with diesel engines or gasoline distribution facilities. In addition to the already existing PAELs for stationary sources with diesel engines under 18 AAC 50.230(c) and gasoline distribution facilities under 18 AAC 50.230(d), the Department created a new PAEL under 18 AAC 50.230(f) that became effective November 7, 2020, for stationary sources with newer EPA Nonroad and Marine Compression Ignition Engine Tier Certifications (tiered diesel engines). The new PAEL will allow facilities that exclusively use tiered diesel engines a higher annual fuel limit than the existing PAEL under 18 AAC 50.230(c), as a result of using updated emissions factors for newer tiered diesel engines that have lower emission rates compared to the older pre-tiered units. For additional information, please contact the Division Air Quality (907) 465-5100.

New Permit Administration and Compliance Fees went into effect on September 26, 2015.

Permit Type One-time Administrative Fee Annual Compliance Fee
ORL $2,168 $319
PAEL Diesel Engine and PAEL Gasoline Distribution Facility $88 $95

Submit Applications and Fees to:

  • Permit Intake Clerk
  • Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
  • Air Permits Program
  • 555 Cordova Street
  • Anchorage, Alaska 99501

Submit Annual Reporting Forms through Air Online Services

external link indicator Indicates an external site.