Skip to content

Who To Call

Does DEC handle all environmental concerns?

No, some issues are primarily concerns of other federal, tribal, state or local agencies.

Different situations and who to call

The Endangered Species Act is primarily managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. DEC's concern with this act is assuring that the use of pesticides does not endanger these species.

Many wildlife concerns are connected with destruction of wetlands. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers determines whether an area is a wetland and issues permits for use of such an area. The permit applications are reviewed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. Therefore, initial contact should be made with your nearest Army Corps of Engineers' office. To get the phone number of your local district office, phone 800-832-7828 or visit their website at the above link. (You may also visit the Wetlands Oceans and Watersheds Web area for more information about what defines wetlands.)

For concerns about wildlife such as moose, bears, foxes, birds, etc. that are caused by development and other human encroachment, contact Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Problems with the environment inside the workplace, such as presence or handling of chemicals or noxious fumes, are under the jurisdiction of the Alaska Occupational Safety and Health, an arm of the Alaska Department of Labor.

external link indicator Indicates an external site.