Skip to content

Pet Import/Export

Bringing Pets To and From Alaska

A person may not import or transport any animal into Alaska which is affected by an infectious or communicable disease, or which has been exposed to an infectious or communicable disease.

All animals are required to have a current Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) or Health Certificate to enter the state of Alaska.

Note: The State does not accept the downloadable USDA 7001 form available on the internet, since this document does not have a unique and trackable identification number. The veterinarian may use an electronic health certificate from one of several contractors (Global Vet Link, New Planet Technologies, Vet-Sentry, AgView) or a paper copy of the USDA VS 7001 Form since this has a certificate number printed on the form. The veterinarian may also be able to use the Animal Health State Certificate available from their State Veterinarian as long as the document has a certificate number to ensure that the document is original and is traceable.

The veterinarian issuing the CVI must submit a copy by mail (5251 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Anchorage, AK 99507), or email ( a scanned copy in PDF format to our office.

Certain species of animals will require an import permit. Permits may be obtained by the veterinarian issuing the health certificate by filling out an online application or by calling (907) 375-8215.

Questions and Answers

What are the requirements for bringing dogs, cats, and ferrets into Alaska?

  • These animals require a current rabies vaccination if three months of age or older, and a small animal health certificate issued within 30 days of import. Persons with animals coming from a rabies quarantine area are required to contact the State Veterinarian office in Anchorage at 907-375-8215 for issuance of a permit number.
  • Animals that are over 12 weeks of age and cannot be vaccinated for rabies due to a medical condition must have an Exemption From Rabies Vaccination Form (PDF 33K) signed by the examining veterinarian, signed by the owner, and approved by the State of Alaska prior to entry.

What are the requirements for animals leaving the state and entering other states?

  • Other U.S. States: Individuals need to contact the state of destination to obtain import requirements. See the list of State Animal Health Officials for contact information.
  • Alaska Ferry: A health certificate or permit is not required when transporting animals between ports within Alaska. When leaving Alaska, persons transporting animals are responsible for complying with the regulations of the state or country to which they are traveling. For information regarding Washington animal importation requirements, visit the website for the Washington State Department of Agriculture or call 360-902-1800.
  • Canada: Dogs and cats that are accompanied by their owners and are over three months of age require a rabies vaccination certificate. You must contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency with any questions regarding rabies vaccination exemptions. Only a current rabies certificate is required for dog and cat round-trip movement (i.e. vacation, sightseeing trips, dog shows, etc.) from Alaska to Canada that is not longer than one month. It is important to have the actual rabies certificate as proof of vaccination, not just a rabies tag. A health certificate is not required. For more information on importing pets into Canada, see the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Importation of Pets website or call 250-363-3618. For travel by road through Canada, passengers might also wish to check with Canada Border Services Agency for related information.

external link indicator Indicates an external site.