Skip to content

Animal Import/Export

Alaska’s animal importation requirements vary by species, and in some cases by the age and sex of the animal. There may be more than one regulatory body that has jurisdiction over animal imports and exports, so it is important to not only review the regulations for the State of Alaska, but also for any country or state that you are traveling in or plan to transport animals into or out of. In Alaska, that often means coordinating with the USDA and Canadian officials, if you are moving animals by land through Canada.

Importation requirements are in place to protect animal health, environmental health, and public health. Decisions about what diseases to test for and the requirements for animals coming into Alaska are based on scientific study and risk analysis.

Below is a quick guide to the requirements for each species of animal. For more information and printable fact sheets, please see the State of Alaska’s Animal Health Regulations, or visit our Livestock and Horse Import/Export or Pet Import/Export webpages.

Species Health Certificate / CVI Importation Permit Additional Testing or Certification  Requirements Intra-State Movement Permit
Equine (Horse) X X X  
Cattle, Bison, Yak X X X  
Goat X X X  
Sheep X X X  
Swine (Pig) X X X  
Dog/Cat/Ferret From a Rabies Quarantine Area X X X  
Dog/Cat/Ferret NOT From a Rabies Quarantine Area X   X  
Poultry or Hatching Eggs X X X  
Cervid (Reindeer, Elk) X X X X
Camelid (Camel) X X X  

Note: Anyone importing animals for Direct or Immediate Slaughter must contact the Office of the State Veterinarian directly at 907-375-8215 to request an import permit.

Health Certificate/Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)

Most animals being exported from Alaska need a health certificate, often called a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), issued by an accredited veterinarian.

Information for Accredited Veterinarians

It is important for accredited veterinarians to check the receiving state’s requirements prior to issuing a CVI, as each state has different import requirements for different species. It is the responsibility of the accredited veterinarian to ensure that vaccines are given within required time frames, the required statements and test results are included on the certificate, and that the CVI is submitted promptly. Accredited vets are required to submit copies of health certificates they issue to the appropriate animal health officials in both the issuing state and the receiving state. This applies both when animals are transported domestically, and when an international health certificate has been issued for travel through Canada.

Accredited veterinarians in Alaska can submit hard copies or email completed CVIs to the appropriate animal health officials, but it is also possible to create an electronic CVI (eCVI) online using our Animal Tracking System. Refer to the eCVI tutorial for step-by-step instructions about how to use this system.

The eCVI system is free of charge for Alaska veterinarians. Once the certificate is created, it can be printed, signed, and then scanned and e-mailed to the State Veterinarian. The eCVI and electronic import permit system is still relatively new. As you become familiar with these tools, we welcome your comments and suggestions to help make our system more user friendly. 

Electronic APHIS Form 7001 No Longer Accepted

The majority of states, including Alaska, are no longer accepting the electronic Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Form 7001, United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals for small animal imports. At this time all states are still accepting the multi-page carbon copy APHIS Form 7001, as well as hard copies of comparable forms issued by the state of origin. Alternatively, there are several online platforms that can be used including GlobalVetLink; Vet Sentry; SmartICVI-New Planet Technologies; AgView; and AgConnect. Many states have either paper health certificates or an on-line platform for veterinarians accredited in their state. Contact your state veterinarian directly to see what options they have. State-issued certificate forms are accepted.

Importation Permit

Permits can be obtained online using our Animal Tracking System, or by calling our office at 907-375-8215. Refer to the permit tutorial for step-by-step information about how to fill out the permit application.

Travel Through Canada

If animals will be transported through Canada additional requirements may apply. For more information visit the USDA APHIS Import and Export: Animal and Animal Products webpage or the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Import Policies: Live Animals webpage.

external link indicator Indicates an external site.