Skip to content

State of Alaska Tier II Reporting

New for 2020! Beginning on January 1, 2020, Alaska will require the use of E-Plan for all Tier II reporting. Tier II reports will not be accepted by any other method. All Tier II reports must be uploaded/input electronically to the E-Plan website.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Tier II Reporting?

According to the Emergency Planning and Community-Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) sections 311-312, facilities that store hazardous chemicals onsite must annually submit an inventory of those chemicals to the State Emergency Response Commission, Local Emergency Planning Committees, and fire departments with jurisdiction. This inventory is often referred to as a Tier II Form.

How to access and use your E-Plan account

How do I log on to my E-Plan account?
  • Go to the E-Plan sign on page.
  • If you submitted on time in 2018, E-Plan already created an Access ID and a Password for your facility. DEC will send you an email with your sign-in information. Or you may contact
My facility submitted a Tier II report last year; was that data transferred to E-Plan?
  • It depends.
  • If you submitted your Tier II report on time in 2019, your 2018 data was transferred to the E-Plan database. You should be able to go into your facility, validate the data and make any necessary changes, and hit "submit" without re-entering everything.
  • If you submitted your Tier II report late in 2019, your 2018 data may not be in the E-Plan database and you may have to re-enter your data.
Will I have to keep re-entering data each year, or will it carry over?
Your data will carry over from year to year once you begin using E-Plan. You will need to validate the data and make any necessary changes (between January 1 and March 1 of each year), but you should not need to re-enter everything.

The Tier II Form

When are Tier II reports due?
The Tier II reporting period is January 1 through March 1 each year for the chemicals present at your facility during the previous calendar year. Beginning January 1, 2020, you may begin inputting your 2019 chemical information into E-Plan.
Can I file the Federal Tier II form or does the State have its own?
You must use E-Plan.
Can I submit a paper copy?
No. You must use E-Plan. Paper copies will not be accepted.
Where can I get a copy of the Alaska Tier II Form?
A copy of the completed Tier II form will be generated for you with the information you entered into E-Plan when you hit submit and the information is validated in the E-Plan system. This copy should be maintained for your records.

Where your Tier II information goes

To whom do I send my Tier II Reports?
Upon submittal of your Tier II report through E-Plan your Tier II information will be immediately accessible to the following entities as required by regulation:
  • Your local fire department
  • Your Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)
  • The State Emergency Response Commission (SERC)
You no longer need to send your reports to these entities separately.
Will Anchorage accept Tier II reports via E-Plan?
Yes. However, Anchorage has specific reporting requirements that differ from the State requirements. See the Anchorage CRTK page for details to ensure proper reporting.


Are any trainings available to help me prepare and submit my Tier II report?
Yes. E-Plan offers four live webinars each reporting period (between January 1 and March 1) on the E-Plan training page. Training dates in 2020 are scheduled for:
  • Friday January 17, 2020 from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. Central Standard Time (CST)
  • Friday January 31, 2020 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. CST
  • Friday February 14, 2020 from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. CST
  • Friday February 28, 2020 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. CST
If you’re unable to participate live, videos of the webinars will be posted on the E-Plan training page.

Reporting Requirements

New How do I answer the questions about shipping?

We’ve had multiple questions asking how to answer these questions. We’re asking how the chemicals arrive at your facility.

Please consider the following when filling out your Tier II reports:

  • Mode of shipment: Select one. How did the chemical arrive at your facility? Feel free to check ‘other’ and use the “if other, specify in text” box to provide additional information.
  • Frequency of shipment: In combination with the “frequency of shipment per” question below, estimate how often the chemical arrives at your facility (ie. 1 time per day/week/month, etc).
  • Frequency of Shipment per: Use drop down menu. See above.
  • Maximum capacity per single vessel: what is the maximum size container you receive (i.e. tote, barrel, etc)?
  • Maximum shipment quantity: what is the maximum shipment (container(s) size, in pounds) you receive at any one time?
  • Average shipment quantity: average out all the shipments over the year.
  • Physical state in transit: select from the drop down menu
  • Carrier: which carrier delivers this chemical to your facility? You may list more than one if you receive packages from multiple carriers. If you don’t know, say so.
  • Comments: You may estimate the route. Describe how you think the chemical arrived. If you don’t know, you may write that.
  • Chemical carrier contact: If you don’t know, you may enter your facility’s emergency contact. This goes on the facility’s contact page.
  • If you have additional information to add, feel free to type it in the text boxes
What else is new for the upcoming reporting period?
On October 25, 2019 the Alaska SERC voted to require information about how chemicals arrive at facilities, including shipping mode and frequency, among other details. Follow the prompts in E-Plan to include this information.
What chemicals are subject to EPCRA?
  • Any chemical for which you are required to have a Safety Data Sheet per the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) is subject to EPCRA reporting. The standard reporting threshold is 10,000 pounds for most chemicals. Extremely Hazardous Chemicals (EHS) often have lower reporting thresholds.
  • A consolidated list of chemicals subject to the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act is included in the EPA List of Lists, and Alaska Statute 29.35.500 which describes Alaska-specific requirements for certain chemicals. Be sure to look at both to ensure correct reporting. For gases and refrigerants you may also reference the Gas Conversion Chart (PDF)
What are some common chemicals in Alaska that need to be reported?
Hazardous chemical Reporting Threshold
Most chemicals 10,000 pounds
EHS (Extremely Hazardous Substance) Varies by substance; consult the EPA List of Lists; and AS 29.35.500(c) for Alaska-specific reporting requirements for EHS
Diesel fuel ~1400 gallons*
Gasoline ~1600 gallons*
Home heating oil ~1200 gallons*
Anyhdrous ammonia (EHS) 500 pounds
Chlorine (EHS) Any amount
Sulfuric Acid (including in lead acid batteries) (EHS) 1000 pounds

*Equals the 10,000 pounds standard reporting threshold.

What are EPA’s new reporting requirements for physical and health hazards?
Alaska’s Tier II reporting complies with the updated physical and health hazards as defined in the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1200, which EPA adopted in a Federal Register notice on June 13, 2016 (81 FR 38104). A correction was also posted in the Federal Register on July 22, 2016 (81 FR 47311). Refer to the EPA fact sheet (PDF) for additional information.
What do I do if I add new chemicals, or increase the volume of chemicals I have onsite above the threshold planning quantity during the year?
Your Tier II report must be completed between January 1 and March 1 of each year. However, you may update your Tier II information at any time during the year. Any changes will become part of your 2019 Tier II report. You will still have to return to E-Plan between January 1-March 1 of each year to submit your Tier II report for the previous calendar year.

Site Plans

Do I have to include a site plan with my Tier II report?
Yes. In October 2018 the SERC voted to require the submission of site maps with Tier II reports. These reports let first responders know where chemicals of concern are before they arrive on scene. This protects their safety and the safety of the community. Your E-Plan submission will not be validated/accepted until you attach a site plan.
Do site plans need to be professional engineering or architectural drawings?
No. You may submit engineering or architectural drawings if you have them, but we will accept hand drawn maps, Google Earth snapshots with a legend describing where chemicals are located, and other clear representations of the locations of chemicals at your facility.
Will the public have access to site plans if they submit a public information request?
No. Alaska state policy does not allow sharing site plans with the public.

Contact Information

Who do I contact if I need technical assistance or have questions about the reporting requirements?
  • Technical assistance is available through E-Plan support
  • Technical assistance for federal reporting requirements is available from the Federal Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know (EPCRA) Hotline at 800-424-9346.
  • If you have questions about additional reporting requirements for the Anchorage LEPC, assistance is available from the Anchorage Community-Right-to-Know coordinator, Deneen Nichols, at 907-267-4900, or the Anchorage CRTK page
  • Further technical assistance for State reporting/regulatory requirements is available from the Department of Environmental Conservation’s Division of Spill Prevention and Response (Kathy Shea) at 907-269-3071 or email

Community Right-to-Know

What if I want information about the chemicals present in my neighborhood?
Under EPCRA, accessibility to Tier II information is limited to the preceding calendar year with respect to a specific facility. A written request for Tier II information must be sent to the DEC Tier II Coordinator on behalf of the State Emergency Response Commission. The written request must include the Tier II Data Request Form which can be found at the end of the SERC Tier II Policy (PDF) The completed form and attachments may be sent to


For More Information

external link indicator Indicates an external site.