GC-2 Oil Transit Line Release
- A transit line between Gathering Center 2 (GC-2) and GC-1, Western Operating Unit, Prudhoe Bay, Alaska
- The spill was first discovered by BPXA operators at 5:45 AM, March 2, 2006. The spill was reported to ADEC by the State Troopers at 6:15 AM, March 2, 2006.
- Spill Id
- Product/ Quantity
- 212,252 gallons crude oil, which includes the following: 199,191 gallons of liquid crude oil recovered and evaporated from the spill site, 12,909 gallons entrained in the tundra trimmings/soil removed from the site, 152 gallons entrained in the gravel removed from the site.
- The joint incident investigation report dated April 14, 2006 confirmed that the leak occurred
as a result of internal corrosion. The source was a quarter inch hole at the 6 o'clock position in an above ground 34-inch diameter crude oil transit pipeline. The hole was discovered in the pipe within a buried culvert (caribou crossing).
ADEC Situation Reports
Unified Command Press Releases
Maps and Aerial Photos
- Trimming Operations - 03/19/2006
- 18-inch trimmer scraping out contamination within a trench - 03/20/2006
- Sweeper removing snow and ice cover at the spill site - 03/20/2016
Images may be downloaded for free and used in publications provided credit is given to the source.
March 03, 2006
March 05, 2006
March 06, 2006
March 16, 2006
March 19, 2006
April 05, 2006
April 15, 2006
April 18, 2006
April 20, 2006
July 06, 2006
Indicates an external site.