Disabled F/V Akutan
- Captains Bay, City of Unalaska (53° 50.433’ N, 166° 35.640’ W)
- 12:00 pm, August 8, 2017 (anhydrous ammonia), potential (petroleum)
- Spill Id
- Product/ Quantity
- An unknown amount of anhydrous ammonia was reportedly released from a plate freezer in the vessel’s refrigeration system. To date there have been no known petroleum releases. Currently the vessel is believed to have approximately 20,000 to 23,000 gallons of mostly marine diesel and oily water as well as hydraulic, lube, and engine oils remaining on board.
- Potential petroleum release. The vessel arrived under its own power, and anchored in Captains Bay on August 7, 2017. The vessel is in deteriorating condition and the crew and vessel have been abandoned by the owner. Although four of the crew remain on board, one of the three generators on the vessel is operational and if the power goes out the vessel will likely sink in short order.
ADEC Situation Reports
- Lisa Krebs-Barsis, EPS IV, ADEC
Images may be downloaded for free and used in publications provided credit is given to the source.
August 18, 2017
Indicates an external site.