SOC Monitoring Waiver
If your PWS is classified as a Community Water System (CWS) or a Non-Transient Non-Community Water System (NTNC), you are subject to the 18 AAC 80.320(4) State regulation. The regulation requires four consecutive quarterly samples for each regulated synthetic organic chemical (SOC) during a compliance period, unless a waiver is granted. A SOC monitoring waiver relieves a PWS for the requirement to test for regulated SOCs during a 3-year compliance period. Most of the regulated SOCs are pesticides (e.g., insecticides and herbicides).
SOC Monitoring Waiver Options
If a system chooses to apply for an SOC monitoring waiver there are two types of SOC monitoring waiver applications: Initial SOC Monitoring Waiver Application and the SOC Monitoring Waiver Renewal.The Initial SOC Monitoring Waiver Application should be submitted whenever:
- A system is not at risk to SOC contamination and wants to avoid the costs associated with regular SOC monitoring.
- A system did not have a SOC monitoring waiver in the previous compliance period. (i.e., new PWS, or PWS failed to submit a SOC Monitoring Waiver Renewal in the previous compliance period)
- There have been changes to the initial SOC Monitoring Waiver Application (i.e., new SOCs are being used in the waiver review area or more than 20% changes in population served.)
- While not required, new water systems or existing water systems with new sources are encouraged to provide SOC sample results with their Initial SOC Monitoring Waiver Application. The sample results along with the information provided in the Initial SOC Monitoring Wavier Application typically provide enough information to process the waiver request.
- To access this application, please select the Initial SOC Monitoring Waiver Application (PDF).
- A system has previously received an SOC monitoring waiver (initial or renewal) for the previous compliance period, AND
- there are no changes to the Waiver Review Area (WRA), caused by the increased water usage of more than 20% or the use of new SOCs.
- To access this application, please visit the SOC Monitoring Waiver Renewal Application web page.