Skip to content

Waste in Rural Communities

How Can We Help You?

We provide free technical assistance to rural communities on their solid waste needs. We can help you with:

  • Filling out permit applications;
  • Landfill planning, operations, and management;
  • Establishing household hazardous waste collection programs;
  • Grant applications for solid waste related projects;
  • Creating ordinances, solid waste fee structures; and
  • Developing public outreach materials.

Find your community's Rural landfill Specialist

Inspections and Landfill Operations

We perform regular inspections of each landfill in the state. These inspections allow us to evaluate the on-the-ground conditions of the landfill and provide technical assistance and guidance on ways to make improvements.

  • Operations Plan Template (PDF)
    • The operations plan is an important tool to develop and implement an effective solid waste management program and identify goals and objectives. It includes the identification of existing solid waste systems, daily operations, needs assessments, program design, implementation, and monitoring.
  • Monthly Visual Monitoring Template (DOC)
    • Keeping records of maintenance needs, supplies, and future planning is a part of good landfill management. It can also provide a benefit to you when your program experiences turnover. Use our template or create your own to get a step ahead.
  • Waste Index (XLS)
    • This inspection tool is used by our inspectors to evaluate landfill conditions and provide incremental improvements for landfill operators to make. It can also be used for deciding which areas of the landfill need improvement for future planning and funding. You can use this community version to see how you would score your landfill. See your most recent inspection report in our SWIMS database
  • Burning Waste in Class III Landfills
    • If your community burns waste, this page provides information on how to properly burn solid waste at your landfill.
  • Landfill Life Expectancy Calculator (XLS)
    • This spreadsheet can be used to estimate the remaining lifespan (i.e. years remaining) of the landfill and to estimate how operational changes can extend or reduce its lifespan.

Permits and Renewals

State law requires all landfills to be permitted by the Solid Waste Program. Landfill permits must also be renewed every 5 years. If your landfill permit has expired or is about to expire, please contact your Rural Specialist for information on how to get it renewed.

If you need a copy of your permit, your Rural Specialist can provide one or you can look at our SWIMS database online to download a copy of it. Your most recent inspection information can also be found in SWIMS.

Having your landfill permitted is good insurance in case of a natural disaster in your community such as a flood, earthquake, or storm surge. Federal agencies require a permitted landfill as part of their emergency response. It also helps to protect your community from illegal disposal from outside sources.

Ordinances and Fees

  • Ordinance Template (DOC)
    • Having approved ordinances set standards of conduct and consequences for not following them. The ordinance template allows a community to set solid waste fees, make specific stipulations on how waste is disposed in the landfill, and outlines the approval process for certain waste streams or identify what wastes need to be backhauled out of the community.
  • Solid Waste Disposal Fee Worksheet (XLS)
    • The fee worksheet can be used to calculate annual expenses at your landfill and set an applicable monthly solid waste fee for your community.
  • Funding Resource Guide (DOC)
  • Funding Resource Guide (PDF)

One-Time Disposal

Large construction or renovation projects, such as water/sewer projects or school renovations, can produce more waste than a rural landfill can accommodate. Therefore, a one-time use landfill is built for the waste and closed after the project is completed. These are constructed, operated, and closed by contractors performing the work in the community. However, the landowner must also approve of the monofill before it can be constructed. Review the following for more information.

external link indicator Indicates an external site.