Skip to content

Livestock and Horse Import/Export

Alaska’s animal importation requirements vary by species, and in some cases by the age and sex of the animal. There may be more than one regulatory body that has jurisdiction over animal imports and exports, so it is important to not only review the regulations for the State of Alaska, but also for any country or state that you are traveling in or plan to transport animals into or out of. In Alaska, that often means coordinating with the USDA and Canadian officials, if you are moving animals by land through Canada.

For more information about Alaska's importation requirements, please see the State of Alaska’s Animal Health Regulations, or the printable fact sheets at the bottom of the page.

For information about importing/exporting pets, please visit our Pet Import/Export webpage.

Note: Anyone importing animals for Direct or Immediate Slaughter must contact the Office of the State Veterinarian directly at 907-375-8215 to request an import permit.

Health Certificate/Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)

Most animals being exported from Alaska need a health certificate, often called a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), issued by an accredited veterinarian.

Information for Accredited Veterinarians

It is important for accredited veterinarians to check the receiving state’s requirements prior to issuing a CVI, as each state has different import requirements for different species. It is the responsibility of the accredited veterinarian to ensure that vaccines are given within required time frames, the required statements and test results are included on the certificate, and that the CVI is submitted promptly. Accredited vets are required to submit copies of health certificates they issue to the appropriate animal health officials in both the issuing state and the receiving state. The veterinarian issuing the CVI must submit a copy by mail (5251 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Anchorage, AK 99507), or email ( a scanned copy in PDF format to our office. This applies both when animals are transported domestically, and when an international health certificate has been issued for travel through Canada.

Accredited veterinarians in Alaska can submit hard copies or email completed CVIs to the appropriate animal health officials, but it is also possible to create an electronic CVI (eCVI) online using our Animal Tracking System. Refer to the eCVI tutorial for step-by-step instructions about how to use this system.

The eCVI system is free of charge for Alaska veterinarians. Once the certificate is created, it can be printed, signed, and then scanned and e-mailed to the State Veterinarian. The eCVI and electronic import permit system is still relatively new. As you become familiar with these tools, we welcome your comments and suggestions to help make our system more user friendly. 

Importation Permit

Permits can be obtained online using our Animal Tracking System, or by calling our office at 907-375-8215. Refer to the permit tutorial for step-by-step information about how to fill out the permit application.

Travel Through Canada

If animals will be transported through Canada additional requirements may apply. For more information visit the USDA APHIS Import and Export: Animal and Animal Products webpage or the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Import Policies: Live Animals webpage.

Alaska Import Fact Sheets

external link indicator Indicates an external site.