Integrated Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Report
Alaska's List of Impaired or 303(D) Listed Waterbodies
The Clean Water Act (CWA) mandates that each state develop a program to monitor and report on the quality of its waters and prepare a report describing the status of its water quality. The relevant CWA sections are Section 305(b), which requires that the quality of all waterbodies be characterized, and Section 303(d) which requires that states list any waterbodies that do not meet water quality standards (known as polluted or impaired waters). Alaska's Integrated Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Report (Integrated Report) combines the information into a single comprehensive report.
2014/2016 Integrated Report
- Public Notice (PDF)
- Public Review Draft Report (PDF)
- Integrated Report Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Lake Lucille Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Little Susitna Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Kenai Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Kenai River Turbidity Daily Averages 2008-2010 (PDF) -NEW!
- Kenai River Turbidity Listing Determination (PDF) -NEW!
- Turbidity Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Solicitation for readily available water quality data and information (PDF) --now closed
UPCOMING CHANGES TO THE 2018 INTEGRATED REPORT
For over 30 years DEC has prepared a “paper” Integrated Report to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to satisfy the reporting requirements of the Clean Water Act. The water quality assessment information from the States is sent to the EPA and is managed and maintained in a system called ATTAINS (Assessment and Total Maximum Daily Load Tracking and Implementation System). EPA is revising and redesigning the ATTAINS system to be more streamlined.
In January 2017 DEC Division of Water conducted a critical review of Alaska’s Integrated Report process to improve the timeliness of submittals and incorporate EPA’s ATTAINS redesign efforts. The review resulted in some significant changes on how the report is developed. Starting in 2018 Alaska’s Integrated Report (IR) to the EPA will be an electronic submittal. For more about this IR review see our FAQs.
2018 Integrated Report
- Solicitation for readily available water quality information (PDF) --now closed