Opening a New Food Establishment
Thinking of opening your own restaurant, market, deli, espresso stand, or mobile food unit?
Below are resources to help you get started. Contact your local Environmental Health Officer for more information.
New Or Extensive Remodel
- construction of a new establishment
- conversion of an existing structure for use as a food establishment
- significant changes to the types of food; methods of food preparation; style of service, or a new type of operation is added (e.g. bar is added to a restaurant or espresso stand added to a market)
- extensive remodeling of the existing establishment
- a new food establishment that has not been previously permitted by the program
- Food Establishment Permit Application
- Plot Plan
- Floor Plan
- Plumbing Schematic
- Complete list of equipment
The Plan Review Guide will help guide you through the required documentation.
Change Of Owner
Submitting a Food Establishment Application
- a menu
- applicable fees for each type of operation (18 AAC 31.050)
- a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan if you will be:
- smoking for preservation
- thermally processing low-acid food
- reduced oxygen packaging (vacuum packing)
- a statement that plans have been submitted for review and approval by the appropriate department or program (if applicable) including the:
- other information may be required based on your proposed process or menu
After The Application Packet Is Received
After a receiving a complete Plan Review Packet, the department will review the submitted plans and the permit application. You will receive written communication detailing any items that are not in compliance. If all items are in compliance, you will receive written approval for the proposed operation. You will need to schedule a preopening inspection with the local Environmental Health Officer prior to opening.