Wildlife Protection Guidelines for Oil Spill Response in Alaska Public Review
The public comment period for this document is from January 31 to March 6, 2020.
The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation and the Alaska Regional Response Team are seeking public input on the Wildlife Protection Guidelines for Oil Spill Response in Alaska (WPG), version 2020. This revision will replace the 2012 version of the WPG, which was also known as Annex G of the [superseded] Unified Plan.
The WPG is a non-regulatory document developed to facilitate compliance with state and federal contingency planning and spill response requirements, and it is a reference for all of Alaska’s Area Contingency Plans. The primary purpose of the WPG is to provide guidance to oil spill planners and responders to minimize impacts to fish and wildlife. It applies primarily to wildlife species that inhabit offshore and coastal marine areas because of the potential for significant effects of oil spills in these environments, but also covers inland and freshwater wildlife.
We would appreciate specific input about whether any information, guidance, forms, or protocols in the revised WPG are inaccurate, incomplete, unclear, outdated, or inefficient. For each issue identified, please provide specific suggestions and/or language for resolving the issue, if possible. General comments and suggestions for content to include in future revisions are also welcomed.
Documents and Links
- Draft document for public review
- WPG for Oil Spill Response in Alaska, Version 2020 (PDF 14.5M)
- State of Alaska official public notice
- Notice of public comment period (PDF)
- Instructions for commenters
- Public comment instructions
- Organizing and submitting comments template
- Public comment template (XLS 15K)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- WPG frequently asked questions
- Detailed comparison of substantive differences between 2012 and 2020 versions
- WPG version comparison (PDF)
- Alaska Regional Response Team’s Wildlife Protection Committee webinar presentations*, January 13, 2020
- Public workshop and webinar agenda (PDF)
- Webinar Part I (PDF 6.4M)
- Webinar Part II (PDF 6.6M)
- *Presentations provide an overview of changes to the WPG
- Current plan (for reference)
- WPG for Oil Spill Response in Alaska, version 2012 (PDF 3.4M)