Skip to content

Domestic and Municipal Discharges Applications

Two types of permits are available. An individual permit is issued to a specific facility or for a specific disposal activity. A general permit is issued on a state-wide, regional, or geographical basis for a category of disposal activities that are similar in nature and will comply with applicable water quality standards.

An operator of a Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTWs) (domestic or municipal wastewater treatment facility) requesting to discharge to surface waters must apply for an Alaska Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (APDES) permit. An operator of a POTW submits APDES Form 2A. If the discharge is not to surface waters (i.e. it is to land or subsurface), then the operator applies for a state permit.

Individual Permit Applications
Number Name Application
Form 2A
Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW)
Must be completed for a new or existing POTW for an individual APDES permit.
Download (PDF)
Form 2G
Antidegradation Form Download (PDF)
Mixing Zone Application
Number Name Application
Form 2M
Request for a Mixing Zone
Must be completed by an applicant requesting a mixing zone for a discharge.
Download (PDF)
General Permit Applications
Number APDES Permit Name Application
AKG572000 Small Publicly Owned Treatment Works and other Small Treatment Works Providing Secondary Treatment of Domestic Wastewater and Discharging to Surface Water Download (PDF)
AKG573000 Domestic Wastewater Treatment Lagoons Discharging to Surface Water Download (PDF)
Number State Permit Name Application
2007DB0010 Domestic Wastewater Discharges from Seasonal or Temporary Camps in Southeast and South Central Alaska Download (PDF)
2003DB0091 Seasonal Discharges From Sewage Lagoons Download (PDF)
  Temporary Camps
Consolidated application for drinking water, food service, solid waste disposal, and domestic wastewater treatment and disposal.
Visit Page

external link indicator Indicates an external site.