Information for Written and Proctored Online Exams
The Operator Training and Certification Program has administered certification exams prepared by the Association of Boards of Certification (ABC) since April 2005. ABC certification exams are based on need-to-know criteria which were developed for each of the exam types. Each criterion is based on a nationwide survey of operators which included Alaskan operators.
ABC exams are administered for the following system types and levels:
- Water Treatment (WT) Provisional/1, 2, 3, 4
- Water Distribution (WD) Provisional/1, 2, 3, 4
- Wastewater Collection (WWC) Provisional/1, 2, 3, 4
- Wastewater Treatment (WWT) Provisional/1, 2, 3, 4
The Operator Training and Certification Program also administers in-house generated Wastewater Stabilization Pond (WWSP), Small Untreated and Small Treated Water System certification exams.
- More information concerning the Wastewater Stabilization Pond exam
- More information concerning the Small Untreated and Small Treated Water System exams
ABC Exams Facts:
- The 2019 standardized ABC exams were implemented in June 2020.
- The 2019 ABC exams are similar to format and content to the 2017 exams and consist of 110 multiple-choice questions.
- One hundred of the questions are graded, the remaining 10 questions are being tested for future exams.
- Examinees won't know which 10 questions are not being graded.
- Examinees have 3 hours to complete the written exam or the proctored online exam.
- Exam formula sheets are included with the exam.
- ABC scores all Provisional/1 through 4 exams.
Preparing for ABC exams
- Review the ABC exam preparation resources for the exam you wish to take by clicking one of the exams types below.
- Water Treatment Exams
- Water Distribution Exams
- Wastewater Treatment Exams
- Wastewater Collection Exams
- Study as you normally would for an exam.