Skip to content

Reciprocity Information


Obtaining certification in one state based on a certification from another without retaking the certification exam is called reciprocity. Many states grant reciprocity to Alaskan operators, and Alaska considers reciprocity with operators from other states.

Moving from Alaska

If you want to know if your certificate is eligible for reciprocity, you’ll need to contact the certification program in the state you’re moving to. The Association of Boards of Certification (ABC) maintains a list of certification programs, including contact information. Visit ABC’s Certification Contacts page at, and select your destination state.

Moving to Alaska

The Alaska Operator Certification Program (OpCert) considers reciprocity on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration the experience/education requirements of the certificate you hold, the exam you passed, and your education and operator experience. OpCert does not grant reciprocity to operators from states that deny reciprocity to Alaskan operators.

To apply for reciprocity, follow these steps:

  • Contact your state’s certification program and verify that they consider reciprocity with Alaskan operators.
    • If they don’t, you are not eligible for reciprocity in Alaska.
    • However, if your state uses ABC standardized exams, review the standardized exam information below.
  • Complete the “Request for Reciprocity” form.
    • Mail the form and the $300 nonrefundable review fee to the address on the form.
    • Faxed and emailed requests are not accepted, and all requested information must be included.
  • OpCert will contact your state of origin, as well as your current and past employers before making a decision.
  • The time required to process a reciprocity application depends on the volume of applications we receive and on the responsiveness of your work references and your state’s certification agency.
    • The average processing time is 4 - 6 weeks.
  • Certificates are issued once OpCert determines that you are eligible for reciprocity.

Association of Boards of Certification (ABC) Standardized Exams and Professional Operator (PO) Certification.

  • If you passed an ABC standardized exam within the past three years, but your state’s program doesn’t consider reciprocity with Alaska, OpCert may issue certification based on your education and operator experience.
  • If you hold PO certification through ABC, Alaska OpCert will issue certification based on your education and operator experience.


The request form is available in Adobe PDF (print and handwrite) and PDF fill-in (complete, save to your computer, and print).
This form must be mailed to our office with the $300 reciprocity fee.

Request for Reciprocity: PDF| PDF Fill-in


Please contact the Operator Training and Certification Program at (907) 465-1139 or email us at

external link indicator Indicates an external site.