Intro to Small Water Systems Correspondence Course
If you are unable to attend a classroom version of the Introduction to Small Water Systems course, taking this correspondence course is a convenient way to become eligible for water treatment and water distribution provisional certification
- You will also earn 4 core CEUs for completing the course
- You must score 85% or higher on each of the chapter quizzes to pass
Taking the Course
To sign up for the course, complete the order form (PDF), and mail it back to us with the $80 course fee. On the order form, you can choose to take the chapter quizzes online or in a paper and pencil format.
Online Quiz Format:
- Once we receive your order form, we will email you the link to the online quizzes. We will also email you your user name and password which are necessary to access the quizzes.
- Download the PDF for the chapter, read the chapter, and complete the online quiz for that chapter. If you fail the quiz, you will be required to retake it. You will be given two opportunities to retake the quiz. Once you pass the quiz proceed to the next chapter.
- You will receive a certificate of completion upon successful completion of all the chapter quizzes. Please allow two to four weeks for processing.
Paper and Pencil Quiz Format:
- Once we receive your order form we will mail you the quiz booklet, answer sheets, and self-addressed envelope.
- On our website, download the PDF for the chapter, read the chapter, and complete the quiz for that chapter. Once you have completed all the quizzes, mail back the answer sheets in the envelope.
- At this time we have no printed manuals available; however, we can send you a copy of the manual in PDF format on a CD on request.
- It will take two to four weeks for us to process your quizzes and mail back your results. However, if you score less than 85% on a chapter quiz, you will be required to retake that quiz.
Applying for Provisional Certification
- Once you have successfully completed the course, and if you have already passed the level one exams for either water treatment or distribution, you may apply for provisional certification by completing the Application for Operator Certification.
- If you have not yet passed a level one water treatment or distribution exam, you can register to take exams by completing the Exam Registration Form.
- More information about the exam application and certification process
The Introduction to Small Water Systems course is divided into 13 chapters. At the completion of each chapter your knowledge will be tested with a quiz. You must receive a score of 85% or greater in each chapter in order to pass this course.
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Drinking Water (PDF)
- Chapter 2: Basic Science Concepts
- Chapter 3: Introduction to Water Sources (PDF)
- Chapter 4: Introduction to Water Treatment (PDF)
- Chapter 5: Introduction to Water Distribution Systems (PDF)
- Chapter 6: Introduction to Pumping Systems (PDF)
- Chapter 7: Basic Electricity and Motor Controls (PDF)
- Chapter 8: Introduction to Water System Safety (PDF)
- Chapter 9: Regulations and Monitoring (PDF)
- Chapter 10: Testing your Drinking Water (PDF)
- Chapter 11: Management Considerations (PDF)
- Chapter 12: The Alaska Operator Certification Program (PDF)
- Chapter 13: Waterworks Math – The Basics (PDF)
For more information, please contact:
Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
Operator Training and Certification Program
P.O. Box 111800
Juneau, AK 99811-1800
Phone Number: 907-465-1139
Fax Number: 907-465-5177
Email Address: email@example.com